Happy Friday, Memphis! Here are the five things you won't want to miss this weekend.
1. Anime Blues Con, Memphis Cook Convention Center, Friday – Sunday, $15 – $50, all ages
Thousands of anime, fantasy, and comic fans gather for panels, shopping, and of course, lots and lots of cosplay. Check out some of the best costumes from last year here.
2. Repticon Reptile & Exotic Animal Show, Landers Center, Saturday – Sunday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., $12 adults/$5 kids, all ages/kid-friendly
Encounter a wide variety of reptiles and amphibians, plus see a venomous-included area, featuring non-native venomous snakes from around the world, at the Memphis Repticon conference in Southaven.
3. Chubby Vegetarian Pop-Up, Iris Etc (62 S. Cooper), Saturday, 11 a.m. – 8 p.m., prices vary (cash only), all ages
If you're a fan of local food blog The Chubby Vegetarian, you'll be happy to know that the folks behind the blog and cookbooks – Justin Fox Burkes and Amy Lawerence – will host a pop-up restaurant on Saturday. Enjoy vegetarian delicacies like andouille eggplant po boy, smoked mushroom tamales, carrot corn dogs, and peach shortcake. They're cooking until the food runs out, so I'd get there early if I were you. Be sure to bring cash.
4. "Red, White, and Brew" Backbeat Tour, starts at B.B. King's, Saturday, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m., $39, 21 and up
For one day only, Backbeat Tours will stop for a tour and tasting at High Cotton Brewery, then head to Cooper Young for a tasting at Memphis Made Brewing, where you'll also get some Aldo's pizza. Read more here.
5. Daddy Mack Blues Band, Center for Southern Folklore (123 S. Main), Saturday, show at 8 p.m., $10 donation, 18 and up
Bluesman Daddy Mack celebrates his 70th birthday and his blues band's seventh CD release at the Center for Southern Folklore.
If you don't already, and you want to, you can follow me on:
Whatever you do this weekend, have fun and share your photos online with #ilovememphis!
I Love Memphis via http://www.ilovememphisblog.com/2015/07/5-things-to-do-this-weekend-710-712/